The process to designate a property as a wet zone is very similar to a zoning change except for small differences in the application and list of requirements. An ordinance also has to be passed by the City Council.
In considering a designation, several factors are substantially reviewed, such as:
- Abutting property owners' objections/comments
- Harmony of use within area
- Nearness to schools, churches, hospitals, or libraries
- Number of similar establishments within same block
- Ratio of number of businesses to population
- Zoning classification
The process takes about 4 months. Application cost is $150. Please contact the Office of the City Secretary for more information.